John 3:8

The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Like cold water to a thirsty soul...

...so is good news from a far country.

Have I ever told you about my (sponsored) child, Ruth?  She lives in Rwanda and is 9 years old. Over the past 4 ½ years, Ruth has grown to be so precious to me. She has a good sized family, including a pair of twin siblings! Some of you know how much I really want to go visit her someday, to meet her and her family, and those who work with them. I often try to picture what it must look like where they live… She said before she likes to run and play ball. I wonder, ‘what kind of ball does she play with’? A soccer ball, maybe? Does she run in a dirt field outside of her school building?

Today, I received a letter from Ruth! Man, those letters make me so happy! At the same time, they are such a good reminder to be praying for her. I see her picture in my room every day, but sadly I don’t always stop to pray. Her father wrote the letter updating me on Ruth and the family’s health and livelihood. They just got a cow! So now they have manure for fertilizer, and are hopeful that they can harvest crops this year even though its sounds like heavy rains destroyed many.  
Sometimes I just long to be there and see the things they talk about… for instance, I sent money for her birthday this year, and her father told me that they  were able to have a party for her “by cooking good food”.. He also said they were able to buy her some new clothes and shoes, and then added “and join her in happiness.” How precious!

The last thing he added in the letter was that they are getting a door for their house. Wow. I can’t imagine living without a door on my house. Imagine all that must mean: open to strangers, insects, animals, etc. What privacy or security do they have? What a huge blessing, to be able to provide for such basic needs!
this house may look similar to one Ruth would live in

SO why did I decide to share this with all of you? First, so that you might also join in my happiness. But second; maybe you also support a child somewhere in the world. Do you think of him/her often? Do you pray for them? Do you even write to them every few months?? I would challenge you, along with myself, to be more involved, more invested, really in their lives. Pray for them. Ask God to meet their needs. Don’t just send your money and forget about them like I so often have. Their lives are moving along there just as ours are wherever we are. Don’t miss your opportunity to “watch” God work in theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment