John 3:8

The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

You know you're not in America when....

There have been so many times recently when I see or hear something and and realize it is so typical of life here, and so NOT typical of life in the States. My friend Candice (another intern here) and I laugh about these kinds of things all the time now. So here are some of them I have thought about recently..
You know you're not in America when:

1) There's karaoke playing next door at 6am, and it sounds like it's in your house. (the walls are really thin)

2) Small lizards that crawl around inside your house are welcome guests, because they dont bother you like the other guests do (cockroaches, ants). And hey, they're kinda cute!
They also sometimes get stuck to your car window as you're drving..? true story.


3) You say a word like "grape" and your students don't understand you until you tell them it's a small fruit. Their reaction? "Ah... grip!"


4) You see little kids running as they roll a tire down a dirt road with a stick/ their hand. This is a daily game, like it used to be in the 1920s or so..




5) The kids on your street run after you calling, "aaatttteee!" and then bless you, like this:



6) As you walk down the street, you say, "something smells like poop" and you're probably right. Two seconds later, the smell has changed--it's now smelly fruit, then fish. then burning trash, then...

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember now, or I will come up with later, but I wanted to share these with you.. sometimes things like this just make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment